Ebro in malt venture

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: New company, Sugar, Malt

Azucarera Ebro, the Spanish food group, and its compatriot
Intermalta, a malt producer, have created a new company called
Maltacarrion which will specialise in the production of malt for
the brewing industry.

According to a report from Europa Press​, the new company will be 70 per cent controlled by Intermalta with the remaining 30 per cent held by the sugar-to-dairy group.

One of the first projects for Maltacarrion will be the construction of a new production facility with a minimum production capacity of 60,000 tons of malt. The plant will be built at Monzon de Campos on a site currently occupied by a sugar processing facility owned by Ebro but which was closed last year.

The choice of Monzon de Campos is not a random one. The town is situated in the Castilla y Leon autonomous region, where the land is particularly apt for the production of barley, the key ingredient in malt production.

Maltacarrion's management will also seek financial support from the government of Castilla y León to help develop the business further.

The report said that Maltacarrion expected the new plant to begin production at the end of 2005.

The project is one of several designed to regenerate agricultural output in the area around Monzon de Campos following Azucarera Ebro's decision to close the sugar refinery there last year as part of its wide-ranging reorganisation.

Related topics: Ingredients

Related products

show more

Exploring Innovation for Sweet Baked Products

Exploring Innovation for Sweet Baked Products

Cargill | 04-Aug-2020 | Technical / White Paper

From doughnuts to danishes, sweet baked goods offer something for almost everyone – and the relationships run deep. But as consumer attitudes about health...

The rising challenge of clean label baking

The rising challenge of clean label baking

DuPont Nutrition & Biosciences | Recorded the 12-Mar-2020 | Webinar

Addressing consumer trends versus product quality and process efficiency
Clean label bread represents a growing opportunity within Europe. 'Natural'...

Developing with Plant Protein for Success

Developing with Plant Protein for Success

Almond Board of California | Recorded the 19-Feb-2020 | Webinar

Join the Almond Board of California (ABC) to discover the positive attributes almonds bring to plant-based products and learn more about protein-rich ingredient...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars