Late last year, schools across the US were invited to motivate why their school deserved to be recognised, with the chance to grab the grand prize of $10,000.
More than 940 nominations from K-8 schools submitted their pitch, closely evaluated by a panel of expert judges for the overall quality of the nomination and the proposed benefit to the school’s education need.
The judges selected 11 finalists, and then passed the vote for the top spot to community members, school supporters and fans via social media.
Desert Star Elementary in Goodyear, Arizona, received the much-awaited visit from Frigo Cheese Heads’ mascot to announce the exciting news:
The runner-up schools included:
- Angie Debo Elementary – Edmond, Oklahoma
- Atlantis Academy – Coral Springs, Florida
- Birdilee V. Bright Elementary School – Los Angeles
- Boulder Creek Elementary School – Boulder Creek, California
- Cambridge Elementary School – Jeffersonville, Vermont
- Dunham Elementary School – Petaluma, California
- Elmwood Elementary School – Baltimore
- Meadowlark Elementary School – Billings, Montana
- Valley Elementary School – Poway, California
- Woodland Hills Elementary – Woodland Hills, California
Starts with the little things
“Giving children the tools and environment to thrive in school starts with the little things like proper equipment, access to nutritious food and other needed supplies and upgrades to help the incredible teachers and school staff who guide their learning,” said David Cherrie, Saputo Dairy USA VP, marketing and innovation.
“We are proud to support education through the Frigo Cheese Heads’ Build a Bright Future programme and look forward to seeing the impact this funding will have to benefit the schools, their teachers and their students.”
Frigo Cheese Heads is the stringy cheese that makes snacking on-the-go loads of fun. It’s also a great option for school lunch boxes and little fingers – but designed to be equally enjoyed by big kids, too. The individually wrapped snack is available in regular or light string cheese, as well as cheese and meat combo packs, providing a good source of calcium and protein.
Saputo Dairy USA is a leading mozzarella, string cheese, domestic blue and goat cheese producer and one of the largest producers of extended shelf-life and cultured dairy products in the US.