Conagra’s $2.5bn snacks portfolio is one of the largest and fastest-growing in the food industry – according to IRI POS, TUS MULOC for the 52 weeks ending 10 April 2020 – and shows no sign of slowing down when it comes to new ideas.
The snacks giant is certainly is not letting the pandemic put a kybosh on its innovating, both on the product front as well as the merchandising to get the snacks front and centre with both the retailer and the consumer.
The Chicago-headquartered snack producer is certainly ‘cracking the code’ with its latest tranche of salty snacks, meat snacks, seeds, popcorn and sweet treats. It is also presenting a standout merchandising vehicles to facilitate optimal assortment, better placement and product visibility to catch the attention of consumers. Its Slim Jim Countertop Caddy Stand Fixture is a prime breakthrough example, designed to pop out at the front-end of convenience stores and perfectly sized for a checkout point.
“Conagra is focused on building confidence with our convenience store customers,” said Burke Raine, president, Grocery & Snacks for Conagra Brands.
“Our Slim Jim Savage Original Flavor meat stick, the No. 1 selling snack innovation in the Convenience Channel, is winning over consumers. Now, we’re launching even more savage innovation with big flavour, bold protein and different forms that people want from our iconic brands, including Slim Jim, DAVID, BIGS and Duke’s.”
The top selling market positioning of Slim Jim is according to IRI POS, Convenience Channel for the 13 week analysis of Syndicated Snack Aisle New UPCs launched between December 2019 and July 2020.
Snacking on fire
Conagra’s tranche of snacks on show at 2020 NACs include:
- Slim Jim Savage Mild Flavour Smoked Meat Sticks: Three times bigger than Giant Slim Jim Sticks, made with beef, pork and chicken and packing 6g of protein per serving. These ‘savage-sized’ powerhouses of animal protein contain no artificial flavours or flavours.
- Slim Jim Monster Size Meat Stick (Sonic Chili Cheese Coney): These monster-sized individually wrapped smoked meat sticks are a meal in their own right, packing a punch of 11g of protein and featuring the flavour of Sonic’s iconic Chili Cheese Coney (a grilled beef hot dog topped with chili and melty cheddar cheese).
- Slim Jim Monster Shortboi Meat Stick (Original): Made with beef, pork and chicken, these keto friendly meat snacks contain 6g of protein per stick and fit a low carb lifestyle.
- Slim Jim Monster Size Meat Sticks (Original and Mild): Available in a 12-count box; ideal for on-the-go low carb convenience and beating boredom at home.
- Duke’s Beef Original Smoked Shorty Sausages: Keto friendly 100% beef sausages seasoned with sea salt, crushed pepper and traditional spices before being slow-smoked over hickory hardwood for a taste explosion of epic proportions. Also gluten-free and containing 9g of protein per serving.
- Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Jerky (Original, Teriyaki and Hot & Spicy): Premium non-GMO, plant-based ingredients are combined to create the texture and appearance of whole muscle meat, while a 20-hour margination and slow-smoke over hardwood brings the smoky intensity of beef jerky without the meat.
- Bigs Takis Fuego Sunflower Seeds (Hot Chili Lime): Keto-friendly and low carb seeds, roasted for a big kernel crunch and seasoned with Takis Fuego hot chili and lime intensity. Sold in a handy resealable bag.
- David Roasted and Salted Bacon Mac & Cheese Jumbo Sunflower Seeds: America’s classic comfort food flavour wrapped up in a salty, crunchy, keto friendly snack. Each 5.25 oz. bag contains about two servings with 180 calories.
- Andy Capp’s Beer Battered Onion Rings Baked Oat and Corn Snacks: The bold beer-infused onion flavour is baked right into these crispy snacks.
- Snack Pack Sour Patch Kids Juicy Gels (Redberry and Blue Raspberry): Sweet meets sour in these fun gluten free snack cups made with real sugar and no high fructose corn syrup. Contain zero grams of fat and 100 calories per serving.
- Angie’s Boomchickapop Salted Maple Flavoured Kettle Corn Popcorn: The gluten-free whole grain popcorn is non-GMO and contains 70 calories per serving.
- Orville Redenbacher’s Avocado Oil Microwave Popcorn: Made with 100% avocado oil and seasoned with simple sea salt. Contain no artificial flavours, dyes or preservatives.
- Act II Llama Party Cotton Candy Flavoured Microwave Popcorn: The 100% whole grain popcorn is bright blue for a bit of fun, appealing to both kids and adults alike. #llamazing activities are included in each pack.
“Snacking is on fire,” said Burke Raine, VP and GM, snacks and sweet treats for Conagra Brands.
“Conagra has a proven approach to innovating and growing brands, which we’re applying to our snacks and sweet treats portfolio. We’re accelerating growth with Slim Jim, David, Bigs, Duke’s and more by designing products for retail customers that perfectly align with what consumers want – more protein, big flavour, new forms and better portability.”