Consumer trends including premiumization, functionality, and convenience-oriented packaging were shaping product development in the domestic market, said China Candy.
Natural bakery products had also started to gain ground as Chinese consumers become more health-conscious, it added.
China is among the six largest markets globally for packaged bakery products in terms of volume, according to Mintel, alongside the US, Russia, South Africa, UK, and Japan.
Mintel’s 2016 global annual review of bread, bakery and cakes also shows China is the fastest-growing bread market with a 24.8% retail value increase year-over-year. Value sales in the sweet bakery category have grown 28.1% year-on-year.
Mintel predicts that by the end of 2019, China’s bakery product market will be worth around 397.70bn RMB ($60bn).
The three-day China Candy & Snacks Expo was be held at Ningbo International Convention Center from September 28 this year.
New Chinese bakery and snack products
- Fujian Province-based Haocaitou Food (福建好彩头食品股份有限公司): Xiao Yang steamed sandwich cakes (小样 蒸三明治)
- Fujian Province-based Yake Food (福建雅客食品公司): Meat floss pie (肉松饼)
- Jinguan (China) Food (金冠中国食品有限公司): Sunny Xiao’s crispy cakes (森小小脆皮蛋糕)
- Xin Xiang Shi Kou Kou Miao Food (新乡市口口妙食品有限公司): creamy shredded cakes (醇鲜手撕面包)
- Ka Er Dun Food (卡尔顿食品有限公司): Hokkaido-style stuffed bread (北海道面包)
- Chengdu-based Funpaer Food (成都香贝儿食品有限公司): sesame-flavored rice cake (米通饼)
- Three Donkies Food (三匹驴子): Treasure Island rice cakes (宝岛米饼)
- Henan Province-based Kai Lilai Food (凯利来食品有限公司): Taiwan-style egg cake (鸡蛋味鲜蛋糕)
- Yi Pinhui Food (益品汇食品公司): Shredded bread (手撕面包)
- Shandong Province-based Xi Laike Food (喜来客食品有限公司): Qiao Qi Cui chocolate wafer cookies (巧奇脆巧克力威化饼干)