The redevelopment of the five mixes – some including ancient grains such as amaranth and quinoa – follows research by the supplier that showed one third of consumers indicate a strong purchase intent for ancient grains.
Corbion said this, and consumer interest in the general health and wellness trend, had prompted “an extensive program” to remove the preservative spray commonly used in pre-soaked ancient and whole grains, while maintaining standards of quality, taste and shelf life.
“The preservative-free versions of our pre-soaked grains allow our customers to incorporate the ingredients consumers crave, while also delivering on the expectation of a cleaner label,” said product portfolio manager Ricardo Moreira.
“With these new products, customers can add ancient and whole grains into their recipes – and add more appeal to their baked goods.”
The pre-soaked grains line-up comprises:
- Golden Super Soaked Grains with oat, sunflower, millet, flaxseed, cracked wheat and mollases
- Hydrated Ancient Grains with organic ancient grains amaranth, quinoa, and chia
- Super Soaked Grains with oat, sunflower, millet, flaxseed and cracked wheat
- Super Soaked Whole Grains with cracked wheat, whole grain barley, whole rye kernels, oat flakes, millet
- Super Soaked Whole and Ancient Grains with amaranth, quinoa, and chia.
Speaking at the Food Ingredients Europe (FIE) show in Paris last year, Mintel food & drink research manager Chris Brockman said bakers’ use of ancient grains and sprouted grains was tapping the naturalness trend and demand for healthier bread.
Positive messages around bread
Bakers are shifting away from launches making negative claims such as low salt, and making increased use of positive associations, he added.
In the UK, Hovis last month extended its Seed Sensations range with a 750 g loaf containing chia. The seeds are also found in other UK products including a sunflower and chia loaf under ABF’s Burgen brand, Biona organic chia and flax seed bread, and quinoa and chia seed wraps produced by free-from brand BFree.