Breakfast cereals take-off

Related tags Breakfast cereals Porridge Wheat Russia

This week's product launches from Mintel's GNPD database cover a
raft of new offerings for the breakfast cereals sectors, which is
currently experiencing strong growth throughout eastern Europe, in
stark contrast to the pattern the market is following in western
Europe.

Representative of the region are its two biggest markets - Poland and Russia. Here both markets have enjoyed growth in excess of 5 per cent for breakfast cereals, according to statistics from Global Food Markets/Leatherhead Food International.

The statistics show that in 2003 the Poland market consumed 31,500 tons of breakfast cereal at a value of PLZ 360 million (€78m). Flaked cereals accounted for 92 per cent of the consumption, muesli for 8 per cent and of that total 46 per cent were marketed at children. Leatherhead predicts that growth will be approximately 5.9 per cent in the coming year.

For the Russian market Leatherhead's statistics reveal that the market consumed 450,000 tons of breakfast cereals in 2003 and that 97 per cent of this total was attributed to kasha​ - traditional porridge made from oats. In stark contrast the market for luxury end packaged cereals accounts for the remaining 3 per cent, with such products costing an average of four times the price of traditional oats.

"There is a growing market for packaged breakfast cereals throughout the region as consumers there become increasingly adventurous and more affluent,"​ said Stephanie Melikian, market analyst at Leatherhead Food International​. "Basically consumers there are wishing to emulate consumer patterns in the west and in doing so they are looking three essential elements: convenience, health and taste."

Turning to the launches, the Czech market is about to get Nestle's Lion Cerealie Cereal. Capitalising on the Lion brand name, this product extension is a 375 gram packet of caramel cream and chocolate flavoured breakfast cereal that is being marketed at a broad section of consumers and will retail at €1.53. Main ingredients are maize and wheatflour and it is fortified with vitamins and minerals.

In Poland Granex is launchins its Kraks Cereal Range, which comes in cocoa, honey, chocolate and vanilla variety and is aimed at the children's market. Packaged in a flexible sealed plastic wrapping, the 250 gram pack will retail at €0.63. The manufacturer is marketing the product on the strength of its health claims - backed by the fact that it is fortified with 10 vitamins and minerals.

Meanwhile Caravan is launching a Muesli with Fructose and Papaya in Russia. Aimed at the premium end of the market, the product is also being marketed on the strength of its health-giving properties. It is packaged in a boarded carton that contains 350 grams of cereal and will be marketed at €1.37. It contains 30 per cent fruit and nuts and no additives, flavours or sugar.

Also in Russia Novo-Nikolaev Products is launching Phyto Snack under the Clever Phyt brand name. This is a new variety of a wheat-based cereal aimed at the health and figure conscious consumer. Said to have a low calorie content, this wheatflour, corn and oat-based cereal is packaged in a clear plastic heat-sealed 130 gram bag that retails at €0.44.

Finally we turn to Hungary where Emco is launching Express Oat Meal with Apple & Cinnamon. Packaged in boarded card that contains 150 grams of high fibre cereal, which come in two separate plastic packages for extra freshness. The product will be marketed at adults and is expected to retail for €0.99.

This range of finished food and drink products is part of a selection from Mintel's Global New Product Database​.

Related topics Cereal & Cereal Bars